About this database
This database has been drawn up to provide information about research trends in the field of Middle Eastern studies in Japan, using financial support from 2003-2005, 2006 Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Research Progress Grants). The source of data for the database at present is a questionnaire survey on the members of the Japan Association for Middle East Studies.
How to search
1. When you enter multiple search words separated with blank spaces, the search becomes a logical AND operation. You cannot do a logical OR operation search.
2. Be sure to specify as many search words as possible. (This will narrow the search. If you specify only a few search words, the number of hits becomes huge and the search takes much more time.)
3. No more than 50 records will be displayed on a single page. If your search has found more than 50 records, click the "Next" button to jump to the next search page.
4. For wildcard searches, add an asterisk (*) at the end of a word or a partial word.
If the word entered is found in any part of the record in the relevant field, that record will be retrieved.
If a personal name is entered, given name, surname and combined forms of given and surname will be retrieved.
Example: (Author) If the name "MIURA" is entered, such forms as ,"MIURA TORU", "miura toru", and the like will be retrieved.
Please enter a publication year in single-byte numerals and roman letters. You cannot enter more than one year at the same time.
If search is performed using numerals or roman letters, only the record that includes the word or number entered as a first part of a word will be retrieved.
1. Search results for the names of authors will be displayed in alphabetical order. Search results that list sevral works by the same author will be displayed in chronological order.
2. Any title preceded by # indicates that the item includes an abstract in the language of the title, even though the text is in Japanese.
3. To get the publication data of periodicals and other materials, please make use of the Webcat holding data form the universities in Japan. (Webcat is a system for searching the general catalog database for books and materials in the library collections of national universities and other institutions.)
4. for books and articles before 1988, please refer to the following website.
Database Producer: The Centre for East Asian Cultural Studies for UNESCO, The Toyo Bunko, Bibliography of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies in Japan
Displayed full data item
Author, Title, Editor, Book (or serial publications that carries the article), Volume, Publication place, Publication year, Publisher, Pages, Series, Theme, Region, Used language, ISBN or ISSN
General : Academic trends / Dictionary, Encyclopedia / Bibliography / Reference works, Current affairs, Collective works / Information science
Religion, Thought : Islam / Philosophy, Theology, Sufism / Shiites and other sects / Political, Economic and modern thought / Manicheism, Zoroastrianism / Christianity, Judaism / Buddhism
Geography : Geographical accounts, Travel journals / Environmental problems
History, Archeology : Pre-modern / Modern
Law : Islam / Modern
Politics : International relations / Ethnic problems
Economics : Finance / Mining and manufacturing industry / Transportation / Agriculture, Pasturage / Petroleum energy / International economy
Sociology, Anthropology : Labor and migration problems / Education, Family / Nomads, Rural studies / Religion, Brief and Veneration of Saints / Urban studies, Population / Feminism, Gender studies / Media communication / Sports, Recreation / Living / Regional studies
Arts : Architecture / Fine art / Music / Cinema, Drama / Dancing
Science, Technology : Plants and animals
Cultural Contact with Japan
Essays, Travel journals (contemporary)
Middle East, Central Asia, Arab, Egypt, Sudan, Maghrib, Andalus, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Arab Peninsula, Iran, Persia, Afghanistan, Turkey, The Balkans, Palestine, Israel, Caucasus, Tatars, the coast of the Caspian Sea, Pakistan, West Turkistan, East Turkistan, Southeast Asia, China, Japan
Abbreviation of used languages